Monday 10 December 2012

No Tears (The Final Chapter)

Thurs December 9 1982

Just had my last seminar of the term and it was really good, though we all smirked a bit when Prof B broke off mid-sentence to wax lyrically about the beauty of winter sunlight on wet brick (we were on the 14th floor of Big Tower, so I suppose the view IS quite good from up there, but still, really). I'd got caught by the rain walking in, and my hair had been completely flattened so I wasn't really feeling the beauty of it all very much (that funny little Brummie who looks like Sting came up to me and said "yow look like a drowned rat, yow do." What a comedian.). Prof had brought in sherry and mince pies, which was nice of him even though we all had to force down the sherry a bit as it's disgusting. We were all polite though. He's a sweet old prof.

I was coming down in the paternoster later on when this Glaswegian bloke got in and looked me up and down, then pulled a copy of 'An Phoblacht'* out of his bag and waved it in my face. He was going on and on about "you're Irish, you should buy one of these, and you should be coming along to the meetings"... He really got on my nerves. The one thing I'm not going to miss this Christmas is listening to those bloody rebel songs as Dad gets drunker and drunker on Christmas night. It might sound awful, but even though I'll be missing Dad terribly I won't be missing Christmas with Kevin Barry or bloody Sean South of Garyowen. And that stupid paper just reminds me of all that. I've seen this Glaswegian bloke around a lot, he seems to fancy himself as Bobby Sands' reincarnation. I'm giving him a wide berth. And how he knew I was Irish in the first place is a bit of a mystery as I'd never spoken to him before today. Wanker.

Anyway I'm off out later - it's the Hall Christmas Ball tonight and Dr Feelgood are on so it might be quite good. I wish Gill** was here so we could go together, but of course I've no idea even of where she is now. I'm going to dress up a bit tonight, and give the children here something to talk about.

I'lll give M a quick ring if I get time after my bath. I had a letter from him this morning where he said he'd love to come up at the start of next term "although the last thing I want to do is come between you and your studies." We'll see. Maybe we can sort it all out when I go home (in four days! Oh no! I've just started to enjoy myself!!).

Friday December 10 1982

I'm lying here starving because I missed breakfast due to my pounding head. I don't know what time I got to bed. The Ball was great - Dr Feelgood were pissed out of their heads and looked rough (they're so old now), and they'd brought along these really slaggy women who were all sitting on the edge of the stage chewing gum in their lurex halter-necks (boobs everywhere), and glaring at all the girls in case we were going to try and take their lovely men away (you must be joking!). But despite being so pissed they still managed to play well (no shades of the Teardrop Explodes*** last night, thank god) and it was a really good gig - even the maths boys were dancing, though some of them really shouldn't have. I wore my gorgeous yellow dress and was very amused when one of the posh Longcoats tried to talk to me (the only one of them who's alright, really, but I'm not getting involved with any of them.). I was with Richie a lot of the time, having a laugh and annoying the DJ by asking for Theatre of Hate and Tuxedomoon, and then I ran into N, the "hearty lad from Halifax" who I met in the first week at the Freshers Ball. Shows how much I was listening to a single word he said back then, as he's not from Halifax at all but from Chester near Liverpool (which is the other side of the country and these things matter if you come from the North, apparently. Ha ha.).

Anyway he was completely different to how I remembered him. Really nice, in fact. He's in his third year doing Chemistry, plays bass in a band, likes all the right music, and looks a bit like Billy McKenzie. He ended up coming back to my room with a few others and we all finished off the bottle of vodka that K had been saving, then the others all drifted off to bed and I don't know why (yes I do know why, I really fancied him) but I let him kiss me. It hadn't been in my mind until right before it happened, and I had a split second to block out all thoughts of M before I went ahead and did it. Then I got upset, and he was very sweet and said he'd better go but he kissed me again for a while before he went (walking back four miles to his house in the freezing cold.). I sat up for ages after he'd gone, smoking and trying to make sense of what I was doing. In the end I went downstairs and tried to make tea without making any noise, and eventually J came into the kitchen as she couldn't sleep either - she'd finally got off with T, Richie's friend (the one who uses Sun-In!), and had persuaded him to come back to the house and have a bath with her, which he did, they ran the bath and got in (bit of fumbling first, apparently), then he suddenly burst into tears because he remembered his girlfriend at home. J said she sat there for ages watching him crying and feeling the water getting cold, and thought it might upset him more if she topped it up with more hot water (not sure why), so she ended up freezing and miserable. He apologised in the end and got out of the bath and left. She'd been after him all term so felt completely stupid, and I was feeling guilty and confused, so we sat up in my room for an hour being miserable before we crashed out.

J also told me that poor B, Debs' smelly room mate, had ended up in hysterics after some wanker from  another hall pretended to get off with her because his stupid friends had dared him. Apparently she was a bit drunk and was all over him in the middle of the dance floor, and Debs (who had seen what was happening) had to rescue her, which at first she didn't appreciate at all and then when she realised what he was up to was broken-hearted. I detest most of the boys here, I really do. He wasn't exactly a catch himself, in his horribly acrylic jumper. I hope someone does it to him some time.

It's the last night of the JCR tonight, and I know I invited N and I know he said he'd come. What am I doing?

Monday December 13 1982

I can't believe I'm writing this at home in my own room. The whole term is over and I would never, ever have predicted I'd be crying like I was as the car drove me away from the house and the Hall and everyone. It wasn't so long ago that I never thought I'd last a term there, that I couldn't survive without London and even more so, couldn't survive without M, and now I can't wait to get back. I suppose everything just started to come together in that final three weeks, just at the same time things started to go wrong with M, and I suddenly had this great feeling of how unique this time is, and how I'm living a life I'll never get to experience again, and for all its ups and downs how amazing that is, and how I need  to involve myself in order to get the best from it all.

Which may be how I justified 'involving myself' in going to the JCR on Saturday night and meeting N there. And justified letting him come back to my room and stay until three in the morning (I haven't been totally despicable. We didn't do anything too terrible. But we didn't do nothing. He asked if I wanted him to stay and then answered the question for me by saying he didn't want it to be 'sordid' if it was going to happen between us, which I thought was really sweet, so off he went on his four mile freezing walk home again, though I have a feeling he won't be doing that next time.). Richie and his friends were all raised eyebrows and theatrical tutting at me the next morning, but I ignored them, though of course they're right - this is not good behaviour. But by then I was blocking my eyes and ears, and was focusing on the Simple Minds gig last night instead. It was the perfect way to end the term - they were absolutely brilliant, the best I've ever seen them, and once again I managed to get right to the front, this time with my camera, so I hopefully got a few half-decent shots of the frighteningly skinny but strangely alluring Jim Kerr. I did feel quite odd when they did 'that song' from New Gold Dream, and it got a bit painful for a while. but the rest was so incredible that I was able to put M aside from it all and just enjoy the gig totally. My ears are still ringing 24 hours later (is it only 24 hours?). It could have been the best gig of my life so far.

I now have the task of phoning M. It's ten days or so until Christmas (not that his family particularly celebrate Christmas - maybe that will help)**** and I'm just about to chuck him for the second time in a month. I may be making a terrible mistake here. But I can't mess him around any more. It's just not fair.*****


* Irish Republican newspaper/propaganda rag. Not something it was advisable to read in public at the time.
**My best friend from school. We used to listen to Dr Feelgood a lot together in her house in Romford.
***Terrible gig earlier in the term. The Teardrop Explodes were touring as a three-piece and Julian Cope was too fried to care about anything much. A lot of the gig was taped. They were awful. 
****This has to be the most crass comment ever written. I was going to remove it for reasons of shame and embarrassment, but decided it had to stay in. Forgive me, I was young and utterly stupid.
*****It wasn't fair. Nor was the way I mucked him around for another month, blowing hot and cold to him before he finally saw sense and gave up. Dearie me, I was awful. 

©Kolley Kibber 2012. My past, my embarrassment, my writing. 



14 comments:

  1. I took my time reading this, as I never want it to end.

    It's a story as old as time, isn't it, that boyfriend/girlfriend at home who, despite all your good intentions - or not in my case - always ends up getting dumped.

    Can't wait for next term!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That weren't so bad Kibber.

    In fact, while reading I was reminded of something much worse that I said to a young Irish fella one night. He was using rebel rhetoric to try and chat up this Scottish girl that was obviously running with me...at least that night.

    All's fair in Love, or whatever...

    If this is the last entry...there will be tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know when you identify with characters in novels... well I so wanted reconciliation between you and M, whilst tempered with a bit of exciting frisson about what might happen with Ritchie. You seem quite set on getting rid of M, based on a missed phone call.

    I don't see what's crass about the four asterisked remark. Was he Jewish? It doesn't matter.

    Of course, change all the present tenses in this post into the past :)

    And I do hope you realise that anyone from Halifax who was confused with coming from Chester would still be most affronted. Bloody Southerners! It's just the Empty Quarter for you isn't it! :)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems daft really but I felt the same as Looby said about you and M! You seemed so good together from what I could gather. You just met eachother too early!

      Delete
  4. Thanks folks. I think I'll be 'retiring' my diaries at this point (for a while anyway.). Too much nostalgia can be a bad thing. Though I might dip in again at a later date (the Miners' Strike stuff is quite interesting.). And there is a 'postscript' from 1986 that I might add later, just to show there IS some poetic justice sometimes. It's where I get a (mild but pithy) comeuppance...

    I think I knew from the outset that trying to have a crack at being a student while leaving my heart 100 miles away (gosh that sounds like an ABC lyric) was a bad idea, so it was almost inevitable that I would force myself out of love with M. Richie was always a friend rather than anything else (we had a few experimental snogs but it just felt wrong), and I miss him to this day. It was a great friendship.

    And as for 'The North', well, obviously I realise that you go back ten years in evolutionary terms for each mile north you travel from Oxford Circus, but some of them are quite endearing nonetheless and anyway the beer's cheap. Hope that clears it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looby, if I return from work today and find that you have taken that sittin' down...I'm gonna go pee in the street.

      :)

      Delete
    2. It's alright EF. Southerners deserve our compassion and understanding. I really don't like this knee-jerk dislike of Southerners, because it's usually just an instant reaction without taking into consideration the very difficult circumstances that they struggle with, like being born in Watford for example and having no phonetic distinction between the words "love" and "lav".

      You've also got to be especially considerate of Kolley, since she lives in a town whose contributions to British culture have been comical hair extensions for men, organic vegan gluten-free non-iodised tofu spread made on a feminist wind farm in Falmer, and acres of newsprint about completely unknown bands featuring girls wearing secondhand dresses and little plastic dragonfly hair grips, playing glockenspiels and talking about loss, who will end up doing accountancy for KPMG once they get over their sensitive phase.

      Delete
  5. Ah, I love how you said you hadn't been *totally" despicable... I think we can all identify with those many, subtle and convenient degrees of 'despicableness'...oh yes!
    And Dr Feelgood: "they're so old now". Says it all!
    It's been a great journey and I'll be happy to clamber aboard for another leg any time you feel like it. (That sounds wrong... you know what I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cold nights, uncomfortable socials - my god this brings back so many late-teen memories. Look forward to the next installment - whenever's good for you is good for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, C, all bad behaviour has been suitably 'qualified', to reduce the relative discomfort of having to confront one's own moral plasticity. I'm relieved to know that you can identify with this process! And yes, M was a lovely, lovely chap and in many ways we DID meet at the wrong time. But, as the postscript will show, it would never have worked out between us...oh boy would it not...

    And while Lee Brilleaux may have been 'old' (ie, thirty) on that night in 1982, far worse was to come for him...

    Anyway I'm glad it's all jogged a few memories for my lovely readers, especially you, Mondo, as you were geographically so close to where it all began!

    But as for Looby's appalling but frankly completely accurate depiction of my adopted hometown, I can offer no defence whatsoever. Pleading that I wasn't born here but just chose to move here only makes it worse. I live in the ponciest, most self-satisfied town in the UK (with the possible exception of nearby Lewes, and faraway Totnes.). It embodies the very worst aspects of the overstuffed, overprivileged South.

    But at least we don't say 'me and thee' like it was still 1348 and we were chatting to the Plague Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see you as someone who'd be good for a bit of well-oiled argy-bargy in a pub. It'd have to be in Lancaster of course. I'm not drinking in Brighton, surrounded by a load of people who have chosen Brighton as a place to live as a compromise between their own occasional desires to act like a black person, with their natural sensual corporeality, and the one they feel in the cold light of a commuter morning, where they reflect that servicing the mortgage on their pretty house in Tidy St comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously the streets of Greenville, Ms are safe. It's a good thing too cause The Delta's so flat water won't run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I'm overdoing now. Let's start again with some decorum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your real name's not Julian is it, Looby?

    ReplyDelete