Thursday 26 April 2012

Worst Man

I  was chatting yesterday with a  young chap (21, so literally and not just relatively young.). He's due to be Best Man at a friend's wedding in a couple of weeks, and was appropriately anxious about making his speech. "I went through it last night, though, and I think I've got it just about right," he told me. I asked him if he'd read it aloud to anyone else, or at least recorded himself reading it and then played it back to get the pacing right, and he looked at me like I was mad. "It's got to be a surprise on the day," he said quite patiently, obviously seeing me as a demented elder female who had no concept of the purpose of a Best Man's speech. I suggested that he maybe tried it out on someone who, er, wouldn't actually be at the wedding. He eyed me suspiciously, clearly seeing a germ of a point in my suggestion but not quite trusting that any such a person might exist in real life. "You can run a few lines of it past me if you want," I said. 


After a long suspicious silence, he suddenly launched into his speech like a speedboat engine revving into life. "Ladies an gentlemen a very wise man or was it my Dad once told me that a Best Man's speech should take as long as it takes the groom to make love so I'll be very quick," he gabbled, straight into his own chest. I smiled encouragingly. "Or you could just pause, raise your glass and say "so thank you for being here and I give you the bride and groom". He shook his head. "No. Can't do that. Her Dad's making a speech after me and he wants to do the toast. If I do a pretend toast too it'll confuse everyone, and anyway I've got some other things to say afterwards. That line's just a warm-up."I sensed I was on a loser, so nodded. "Do go on, then."

It would be mean of me to reproduce the whole thing, but his climactic anecdote involved the phrases "it floated","it just wouldn't go down", "it was still there an hour later," and the punchline "in the end we used a coat hanger." I don't know his friend and I don't know the bride-to-be, but I imagine like most people they'll have an array of aunties, uncles, little nieces and grandparents who will all be sitting happily on the top table in a couple of weeks, waiting for that nice young fellow who's Best Man to begin his speech. 

I suppose at least it won't be as bad as the wedding a friend went to about ten years ago, when the Best Man rose to his feet, chinked his champagne flute with his knife, and when he had the attention of the assembled guests said "Phil and Gemma, it's your big day today, and I'd like to begin by saying that you're a pair of smug tossers and I've hated you both for years. Cheers," before walking out. It won't be that bad, not quite. 

5 comments:

  1. Bless him...

    I've done it once, but fortunately I was sharing duties so the other best man (the second best man, as I insisted on calling him - he was a mere friend of the groom, I was his brother, so I got top billing) did all the embarrassing adulthood/alcohol/workplace/ex-girlfriend related nonsense and I could concentrate on bringing up childhood anomalies. It was a roaring success.

    I don't expect anybody in my circle to ask me to be their best man in the event of their impending marriage so I envisage my life duty is done. But the need to test out the speech on a neutral third party is key and always will be.

    The line "in the end we used a coat hanger" made me laugh a lot, by the way. Imagining the full story, however, I can't envisage many of my elder relations appreciating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear... how glad I am to have successfully avoided all weddings this century so far. Am I getting a bit past it to say that such an occasion shoudnl't be any place for scatalogical lads humour? But then as the above comment shows, sometimes it works perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! And the sort of thing - both the scataological joke and the 'smug tossers' declaration - that I'd expect to hear in a TV comedy wedding scene (I'm thinking something like Peep Show / Worst Week Of My Life) where I'd be laughing - but that I hope doesn't actually ever happen in real life! Like Looby I've avoided all weddings this century so far too, and have never been a fan of them. (My own was a somewhat understated affair, we both wore leather bike jackets, and had two close friends doubling up as the only guests/witnesses, then we went for a pizza. Utterly stress-free and no shit!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd rather be called a smug tosser and have a storm out than deal with "floating" anecdotes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God, I *love* that second guy. Well-played. You too, for that matter. Another high-quality tale.

    ReplyDelete