Monday 30 April 2012

By Any Other Name

I was on a crowded bus last week which fell into incredulous silence when a young mother admonished her toddler daughter to "sit DAAAAAHN, Boadicea."(no word of a lie.). Looks were exchanged, and there was an outbreak of furtive sniggering as everyone suddenly scrutinised the child's pushchair for signs of giant blades protruding from the wheels. 

I mused that at least perhaps the kid can shorten her name to 'Bo' (not great but better than the full-fat version) when the inevitable teasing by her peers begins, and then reminded myself that in a class peppered by Chardonnays, Chanels and Chyennes, nobody was likely  to raise more than an eyebrow at little Boadicea. And I hoped that at least the kid might grow into a statuesque flame-haired Amazon, and at least not be at physical odds with such a demanding and evocative name. Because like it or not, that name is going to bring about some very primal psychological responses in those who hear it, the kind that stay with you for life no matter how you consciously try to resist or deny them.

I am as guilty as hell in this matter (despite having been given an absolutely ridiculous first name of my own by my misguided parents.). I will maintain that I have never met a man called Alan or Colin that I like, due entirely to very early associations formed in childhood after  having encountered disagreeable examples of both. When doing some further research on this matter, I felt actual relief that no babies at all were given the name 'Clifford' last year, purely because I met a boy called Clifford who I hated beyond reason at a holiday camp when I was ten, and a second in my teens who was equally obnoxious and therefore set the seal of evil on that name as far as I was concerned. 

In fact, I have a whole list of names that evoke immediate, seemingly irrevocable pre-judgements in me when they arise, and a load more which instantly throw up slightly more benign but very specific images. For example:
Keith - pale blue eyes and yellow teeth.
Graham - wiry red hair, likes E.L.O, good at maths.
David - blond and popular, despite being sensitive. 
Andrew - hearty with a booming voice, sporty, dull.
Thomas - always has a runny nose.
Gary - flash, with a bad haircut; can't dance but thinks he can.
Michael - altar boy.
Timothy - spoilt, with a snub nose and freckles.
Tom - big feet.
Alan - loudmouthed bore with barrel-chest.
Colin - anaemic, lank greasy hair.
Nigel - snide mother's boy. 

And for the girls:
Catherine - all boys fancy her.
Sarah - pony club princess.
Jackie - tart.
Mary - spots and sweaty hands.
Laura - tomboy in ankle socks.
Claire - bit of a swot.
Carol - moody redhead.
Debbie - cheerful airhead.
Sandra - blousy, large bosomed.
Maria - enigmatic, secretive.
Sheila - has at least four younger siblings and babysits a lot. 
Pamela - never stops talking.

This is not a scientific survey and is the result of my own stewed subconscious alone. I sincerely hope that any others reading these lists will come up with flashcard responses of their own which are at complete odds with mine. My conscious, adult mind knows full well that it has been presented several times with confounding examples of all these names (maybe not 'Nigel'.). I've had patients with all these names, friends with a few, and even one boyfriend (I'm not saying which name.).

Several of the ones in my list are currently 'in retirement' until the wheel of fashion takes another turn and brings them back into vogue (probably for the generation after next.). Only 23 Keiths were added to the world (well, the UK) last year to up the stock of greasy pale babies, and there were a mere 16 Jackies to  provide the next crop of gum-chewing, lovebite-toting teens. I was surprised to see there were just six Shirleys (thin legs and frizzy dark hair, since you ask), whereas back in junior school there were three in my class alone. Ten years ago my friends were all having babies called Max, Joe and Lily; now you can't move for Olivias and Olivers. Interestingly, none of these names evoke any associations in me - they produce no 'flashcard' responses at all, as they weren't around when I was a child busily laying down illogical emotional associations. And my own name remains stubbornly classified under 'funky-quirky', having neither declined nor increased significantly in popularity since I was born. I dread to think what associations might well be evoked in my childhood classmates, if I'm the only one they've ever met. Good grief. That's a responsibility I don't even want to think about. 



18 comments:

  1. Erik?

    It's good to know that Debbie is a universal character...the world needs Debbies.

    Allan is a prominent name on the very short list of genuine friends I have in this world.

    He pops up ever'now and again on my piece...rest assured he is neither loudmouthed nor barrel chested (He's actually Timothy Allan...hahhahah) or snub nosed...he is the epitome of the Southern male in looks and speech. His accent is perfect (though not nearly as precious as his wife's) in volume and cadence...and he's thoughtful when he speaks. He comes by it natural...while my people were toting a rifle and a pack during the War, his were swinging swords...and if it weren't for the fact that he'll put wear any shirt with at least four holes and any pair of britches that will slide of his boots, you think he was love child of William Faulkner and Mary-Flannery O'Conner. He's a professor of philosophy but he spends most of his time on a tractor.

    Sorry for the digression but...like I said he's my buddy.

    I wanted to name our boy Robert Lee (Robert E. Lee and R.L [Robert Lee] Burnside)...it didn't happen. If there's another, I will insist that he be named Thomas-Johnathan-Jackson and insist that he be called by his full name. Knowing that there's a Boadicea only strengthens my resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted (as a youngish child) to be called Don (tough, square jawed,reliable) after Don West in Lost In Space, that was before I was experienced enough to recognise it as short for Donald (skinny, a bit wet and lives at home with mother) ..... it's strange how we associate. But then there were four boys in my class at school with the same very dullname as me fortunately its not on your list !

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend swears she has a nurse friend who found herself one day attempting to talk a new mother out of the name she had chosen for her son: "Shithead." Pronounced: "Shi(soft "i")--theed." I believe she was unsuccessful, but that's not the really the point, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear oh dear... poor lad. I hope she managed to get the spelling changed to something like Shetheed. It's like that fairly common Indian name Dikshit. I've heard cricket commentators fend it off by pronouncing it "dick's hit".

      Delete
  4. Please god, no...that's like taking the whole 'Boy Named Sue' thing to a terrible new dimension...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most incongruous name/person I came across was a dumpy, grumpy-faced and inarticulate girl called....Pandora. I don't know quite what I was expecting but it wasn't that! I also dread to think what jokes she had made to her later in life about her box... Presumably her parents didn't think that far ahead?
    My own name, which is not a particularly common one, has been the cause of many mis-spellings and misleading impressions...but I've grown to quite like it (eventually). I'm glad I wasn't a boy though because apparently I might have been called Sinclair. I dunno, but it just doesn't work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pandora is a hard burden to carry whatever you turn out to look like, C - even harder if you happen not to be naturally svelte and ethereal. As you say, all those box jokes, not to mention the Four Winds...terrible. And...'Sinclair'? Gosh. If I'd been a male baby, I fear I'd have ended up something like Patrick De Valera Ignatius Loyola Brian Boru Kevin Barry Kennedy Kibber...

    I quite see the appeal of 'Don' for a young lad of a certain era, due to those Lost in Space associations. I quite fancied being called Virgil after the (relatively dull) Thunderbirds character - I thought that was a cracking name. Maybe less so on a girl though.

    And E.F - of course your Timothy Allan is one of the multiple exceptions which prove the rule. As for 'Erik', my unedited flashcard response to that name would be 'a sensible lad with thick glasses'. As I say, it's only my subconscious....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two names must cancel each other out...I just thought it was funny when I read it.

      Speak of the devil...he actually popped up online yesterday for the first time all year. I'm gonna try and get him off his tractor this afternoon.

      My sister...in her last year of college, had a lot of interaction with a young office worker names Rhodesia. She was black...in a fit of early 70's afrocentrism her parents got out the map and found themselves drawn to the most Anglo name on it. That tickled me.

      Delete
    2. Did she subsequently change her name to Zimbabwe, EF??

      Delete
  7. Madeleine is my bete noire. Hairy legged bitch who rushes around a lot in vain.

    Otherwise, today it's all either trendy Zaks or servants names like Kitty, Alife, Eliza and Arthur.

    Give it perhaps 15 years, and we'll see a resurgence of Sharons, Tracys, Waynes, Warrens, Lees, Darrens and even perhaps Susan. In fact, it would be more unusual these days to call your child Susan or Paul or Hilary or Peter. You can be sure they'd be about the only one in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How is it that you quite often say just what I'm thinking ?

    Thankfully my real name doesn't occur in your list but I have to agree with many 'attributes' associated with those names except may I just add that Colins usually also smell of cabbage.

    One more unusual girl's name which came to my attention a good while ago was 'Angel'. It was appropriately drawn to my attention but a week before Crimbo in a very crowded shopping centre:

    'Angel ! ANGEL !' (issued forth with a very extreme cockerney twang)
    (Angel's name suited her well for she was but a little tot all in pink with blonde ringlets cascading down her tiny back)

    'ANGEL ! I f***ing HATE YOU! Nah look wot you've gone n'done. You've opened the bl**dy bag and nah you've seen yer Christmas present ! I tol' yer no' to, dittn't I ?'

    Mother to friend 'Silly lil cow !'


    You can imagine how the noisy throng of Xmas shoppers came to a grinding and silent halt for a millisecond.

    Angel would be about 18 now. I wonder if she has inherited her mother's sweet nature or taken a slightly different and saintly route inspired by her given name ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a picture that evokes!
      You realise of course that Angel is probably actually spelt Ayngell... or Ainjyl...etc (with a little heart to dot the i)

      Delete
  9. Cusp, I would give good odds that Angel is probably a Mum by now herself. Maybe with a daughter called 'Boadicea'...

    Jon, it's a sad fact that even if the fairest and most benign Madeleine should cross your path, you are bound to suspect her of secretly harbouring an inner hairy-legged bitch. That's just the way these things work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone I know has a daughter called Boadicea, and shortens it to Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that's a win-win if ever I heard one, Matthew. 'Boadicea' for days when she's feeling formidable, 'Boo' for days when she's feeling like a speech bubble in a kids' comic. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear me, I've got quite a mountain to climb with you then.

    [Steep rockface near sea]

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete