Tuesday 8 May 2012

The Great British Bank Holiday

My observation that this damp island has just endured a solid month of almost parodically awful weather will surprise few readers. Those of us born and bred here now have another soggy, pewter-tinged memory to file away under 'Crap Bank Holiday Weekends' with all the others we've endured since childhood. There's something stoical and almost perverse about the British at play on such weekends; on a spin along the country roads you will pass clutches of shivering, kagoul-toting 'Action Families', usually led by a Dad whose secret yearnings to lead a troupe to the North Pole were only thwarted by his wife's greater determination to tame his Scottian spirit, but now they've got kids of their own he's damn well having his moment and forcing them up the muddiest most exposed slope of Mount Caburn in a Force 9 gale. And all over the country communities spend months almost wilfully blind to the oft-repeated climactic lessons, and plan parades and charades and more parades involving the construction of ten-foot paper dragons which melt on contact with the relentless rain, or face paint which the next downpour will coax disturbingly down many a stubbly chin.

So it was in Hastings over the weekend; the annual Jack in the Green jamboree was certainly not going to be halted by a little rain (or even emasculated away into an indoor version.). Despite the glowering rolling clouds heaving their way across the English Channel towards the town. The people of Hastings are made of stern stuff, whatever the Normans would have you believe, and as the visitors (like us) ran back to our cars to grab another layer or pair of socks, the black-faced troupes (nothing to do with minstrels; do NOT ask these folk to sing 'Way Down Upon the Swanee River'; they're smugglers and wreckers (for the day) and general purpose wrong 'uns.) made their increasingly excitable and inebriated way around the steep winding twittens of the (very) Old Town, carousing as though the weather was nothing more than another challenge. You can see a picture of one of them above, on the way to find his troupe. When they all get moving, it's an impressive and highly weird sight.

 I love going to Hastings as it's so determined not to be Brighton; despite its community of artists and its clutch of knowingly-appointed 'vintage' shops (I got a great Fifties blouse)it's not hip or cool or falling over itself to impress you. It's a little isolated, at the end of a long, lonely train line and a grim road across the protected marshlands, and its inaccessibility keeps it trapped within itself, to the evident satisfaction of some but to the economic disadvantage of many more, as its social problems and unemployment continue to demonstrate. We stopped at the new controversial Jerwood Gallery - recently opened to highly vocal opposition from the fishermen whose fleet is moored on the shingle just outside the new, tastefully tiled and sympathetically designed cultural interloper. It's a perfect symbol of the opposing forces tussling over the future of this historical, troubled little town; those who see its survival as dependent on receiving a good shot of the 'St Ives Effect', and those who resent or are suspicious of the enforced gentrification and further social division that may result. Or those who just hate the sort of Shoreditch Ponces that tend to go to galleries. Either way, the Jerwood is really quite a subtle, gentle structure that doesn't seem to trumpet its bourgeois presence and for my money looks a damn sight better than the coach park it replaced. Go along and see for yourself, if you're on the South Coast, and then stuff your face with the best fish and chips from any of the traditional family restaurants across the road. And buy a pint of brown shrimps from the fishmongers - they'll have been caught the same morning. Just watch out for the troupes of shouting blackfaced revellers in the pubs - those lads are tough.

 If time and rain allow, you could also do worse than head from the town centre about a mile West along the coast, to Bulverhythe where if you're very VERY lucky, you can get a look at the wreck of The Amsterdam, which sank into the mud in 1749 while packed with bullion and plague-raddled sailors and has been there ever since. When tides are very low, the poor old ship pokes through like a pleading skeleton, and the form of the vessel is eerily visible until the tide rolls in and claims it once again. It's an amazing, haunting sight and best of all, hardly anyone knows it's there. Bear in mind also, as you squelch across the flat sucking ground on your way out to the dead ship, that the strange rotted-looking substance you keep coming across that looks like masses and masses of soaked and buried wood, is in fact just that. You're standing on a 4,000 year old forest that the sea took back long before there were Normans or Germans or anything else threatening the South Coast, and huge decomposing trunks and logs are trapped down there along with the Amsterdam and its doomed sailors (who apparently met their end at the hands of the ancestors of the face-painted Hastings revellers, always on the lookout for a wreck full of silver and viewing the crew in the same way as the Nostromo gang were classified in 'Alien'.).

On reflection, it really was a rather fine Bank Holiday Weekend.

9 comments:

  1. I'm getting really bored now of the relentless greyness and chilling damp of this Spring and must say that the idea of spending time amid Jack in the Greens with painted faces, eating fish and chips and looking at an incredible-sounding skeletal shipwreck sounds highly appealing. Even if it is in Hastings. (I know - from what you've said here I can see I'm doing the place a huge injustice but I went there once and thought "never again" - this was some years ago and a lot changes, it's just unfortunate it left such a sad impression of being rather worn-out and lost then. I wish it well - and maybe now I'll visit again!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been a pretty good Bank Holiday because I got taunting texts all day Monday from Lancaster about how great it was not to be working.

    I just kept replying with pictures of the sun.

    Though, I've got nothing to compete with a shipwreck and a rowdy crowd in black face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever go back, C (Or EF, for that matter) let me know and I'll fill you in on the best bits to visit. There is an awful lot of Hastings that is stunningly horrible - a lot of the modern town centre got flattened in the war (when the Luftwaffe would empty their unused bombs over the South Coast before heading back across the Channel) and much grim post-war reconstruction followed. Plus it has always had a massive drug problem. But the old town remains defiantly intact and fascinating - and there's more history in the surrounding countryside than anyone could need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew there was a wreck out there. I'll have to ask my Mum if she knew about it -- she's from Lewes but going back a generation or two was from Hastings.

    Lovely to see the word twitten in print. I've only ever heard that from said mother.

    I've just gone to Mr Bartlam's blog to see if we had a mutual friend but I assume it's Lancaster, CA, or PA, to which he's referring, and not the original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do ask her, Looby - I'd be surprised if she didn't know of it or even have seen it at low tide. It's really worth seeking out if you're ever doing a Family Nostalgia Trail in these parts. And some of those old Sussex words have, thankfully, survived, 'twitten' being one.

    I doubt that Mr B has visited the original and best Lancaster, but he's a bit of a surprise-merchant so it's possible...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was one your neighbors harassing me lobby. ..one of my closest friends really. I think I got over the strange electronic nature of it a couple of years ago after spending the entire nervous day before my son was born talking with him online. ...but I've never been north of Birmingham.

    As far as Lancaster penn goes the only correspondence I've had with any of those creatures was a pointless, but fun and cathartic, letter I sent to the state after getting a speeding ticket there on Christmas eve. Lancaster UK could be A nuclear waste dump and would be more pleasant place than it's namesake in Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) Sorry, haven't read post yet
    2) Just got back in the 419 Capital
    3) With my new laptop
    4) Which means that once I sort out everything that needs sorting, I shall be back, to read & to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a 30th anniversary commemoration, I am re-reading Paul Theroux's 'The Kingdom By The Sea'. He visited Hastings on his travels and has some interesting thoughts on it. Worth looking up and anyway I highly recommended the book, and any of his other travelogues for that matter. I first read it in '83 (it was about an '82 trip), and there are a few interesting conjunctions from 1982 to this year; recession; Falklands; tories and labour and unions and strikes.

    I was 19 or 20 when I first read this book, and Theroux was 41 when he walked the coast. That seemed quite old to me then, but now, 41 would be ok. I'd take that. Ah well.

    'Twittern' I know from my previous Sussex connection, again of 30 years ago. It means 'Jitty' in my language, I believe. A narrow alley, or footpath, or 'back way'.

    It is good to find you again. I hope that all is well and things "specific to this venture", are better than before.

    Brighton is still on my mind. Yes, I know, I should write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a brilliant recommendation, OP - I'm going on holiday next week so will try and get hold of a copy to take with me. Thanks very much, and thanks for taking the trouble to 'find' me again. Waiting to read that piece of yours on Brighton!

    Jayne, also, thanks for dropping by. Hope all's well - glad to see you'll soon be back posting again.

    ReplyDelete