Friday 5 October 2012

Big Cringe

Here's a parable about why you should never behave impulsively just because you're having a good time. Read and learn. My cheeks have only just stopped glowing red.

On Tuesday evening I attended a very agreeable gig, which I've documented in tiresome detail on another post. Among the audience was a bloke about my age, who I've been seeing at gigs ever since I moved here over twenty  years ago. He caught my eye in the first place all those years ago because I recognised him from my old University; a fairly quiet, shy, bookish lad who hung round the fringes of the trendy sub-set I was part of, always visible in his oversized, off-the-shoulder black mohair jumper and pipecleaner legs, topped off with a mop of Neil Arthur hair that was quite the acceptable look at the time. He was known to be 'a nice bloke but really shy', and I never spoke to him beyond the occasional nod at parties or gigs. When I saw him down here it was a real surprise, and in due continuation of the established form between us, we restricted our exchanges to looks of mutual recognition and cautious silent friendliness. Having marked him down as a bit of a shy loner, I always felt reluctance to invade his space with a 'hello', especially as a shy person myself - I mean, what would I say after that?

He was always at gigs on his own, and only certain gigs - the more obscure, cosmic kind, say Moebius and Roedelius, Neu! or Damo Suzuki. I wasn't surprised to see him at Wooden Shjips, and even less so to see him at Moon Duo over the summer, his thatch of hair now clipped as befits a middle-aged man, frowning slightly as he always seems to do while watching a band. But when he turned up at the Flaming Stars the other night, I was surprised, very very surprised. Not his sort of thing at all, you see.  And as the night was going so well and everyone was having such a lovely time, it all seemed to portend well for me to march over and finally speak to him. Which, with no preparation at all, I did.

"Sorry to bother you," I said, landing suddenly in his line of vision and making him jump, "but I've been seeing you at gigs for over twenty years..." He nodded and peered a bit oddly.
 "And before that we both went to Middling University, didn't we?" I said confidently.
He peered a bit more oddly. "Not only did I not go to University in Middling," he said, "I've never set foot in the place. Which is I suppose a bit odd as I come from Near- Middling." (a town twenty miles away from my alma mater). "So wherever you know me from, it isn't there. I must have a doppelganger."
My face was turning crimson as twenty years of mistaken identity and all those hesitant half-smiles I'd been delivering and receiving flashed horribly through my memory. "I am so sorry," I said, wanting to run the length of the country to get away from my twenty-year mistake. "I just thought...I mean you go to a lot of the ones I go to, and...you were at Wooden Shjips..." gabbling now, all filters gone...
"I've never seen Wooden Shjips either, I'm afraid. I must have a tripleganger..." he said, by way of a final blow.
"I'm so sorry, " I said again, dying.
 "Yes, I hear they're quite good live," he replied, totally missing the point. "Anyway, see you..."he turned and headed for the exit, no doubt relieved to be getting away from The Nutter.

See me? Oh no. Not if I see him first, he won't. Twenty years of avoidance now follows.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks - you confirm to me to retain my complete isolation from the world as we know it!

    A year into the commute I

    1. nod to the guy with the really long shoes and blue rain mack. He works in a hospital, poor sods phone normally goes off on the platform, he sighs and explains he'll be another 50mins at least etc. Normally sounds like some idiot contractor has broken, removed, installed something and he is carrying the can for it.
    2. Smile at the lady with the Kindle who gets on a couple of stations up. She scares me actually - so much make up, shoes with heels so high you'd need a ladder to get in them etc. I dread to think what she does for a living - torture people I don't doubt!
    3. Mutter hello to the guy with the bottomless satchel - he sits most of the journey emptying it then repacking it all!
    4. Totally avoid the guy who works where I do. I bowled up to him one morning and introduced myself by saying "We work in the same place I saw you at so and so meeting the other day". He smiled and asked where I worked - when I told him it was in IT and I wasnt an academic that was that I think and never spoke to me again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re number 4, I was very struck when I was an undergraduate and had to spend a couple of weeks at Cambridge Uni, how, in the pubs in town, porters and ancillary staff would say things like "Oh no, I'm only a porter." Well, you're just as much a human being as the Prof over there.

      Delete
  2. That's a classic, Kolley! So... which is it?... is it that he IS the very same guy but just so embarrassed at having been caught out shyly following YOU around (not the bands) for twenty years that he had to go into denial? Or have you been seeing one guy at all the other gigs you mention, only it just wasn't him this one time at the Flaming Stars? Or has there just been a whole legion of different blokes all at the events you go to who all look, dress and act alike? I'd love to know if you see him again.. Either him, or the other one, or one of the other ones...

    Whatever, I bet he was secretly flattered to be approached by you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. C's on to the real issue here. What lone male walks away from a lady who has approached him like this???

    Even if you're spoken for...you don't ever leave a lady regreting her decision to speak to you. Inanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not underline what EFB has just said more emphatically. Approaches from girls at gigs are like precious and rare--you never walk off!

      Delete
    2. Ah, aren't they lovely, Kolley? Such gents. :-)

      Delete
  4. I think I absolutely terrified him, folks. Which admittedly must mean that his 'terror' bar is set quite low, as I'm really not very menacing. In my less charitable moments this week (and there have been quite a few), I've been inclined to take the view that the reason he's always at these gigs on his own is that he's just not very socially adept, as evidenced by his rather brusque response. But then I usually revert back to cringing.

    I may just have to move to another town...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looby and I are obviously the last of a dying breed of gentlemen.

      Maybe he's a former patient...you've mixed him up with the gig goer but, he's terrified to have been discovered in public.

      Delete
  5. You just described my worst nightmare, EF...

    ReplyDelete
  6. C, they ARE lovely. Imagine if everyone was so courteous and appreciative...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he's lying. He's basically playing hard to get. Yes it's him and yes he knows it's you. He's just paying you back for 20 years of ignoring him.

    Either that or it's someone else entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't beat yourself up; years ago, a friend of mine's brother was convinced that he'd seen me out a few times with my sister (I don't have a sister) and was always asking about her; I don't even know who he was referring to but I didn't let that bother me. 'Susan's fine' I would say. Not only had I given her a name I'd given her a whole back story as well: 'She's just got a job as Pete Leander's daughter's nanny in London.' Leander was Gary Glitter's manager at the time. I strung him along for years. Years. I don't know when I dropped the bombshell that I never had a sister to him. But when I finally did, he refused to believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That makes me feel better and worse at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not perhaps in the same league but my son's friends now appear at the same gigs that I go to and after realising it actually was me they spend the best part of the night trying not to acknowledge me. I take great pleasure in making sure I say hello before the night is out. My son of course wouldn't be seen dead in the same place at the same time. Which is as it should be !

    I also concur with all above - never has a sane man declined a conversational opening from a woman at a gig.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chips are definitely stacking up on the "it's him, HE'S the nutter" square. I like this very much.

    Bel, I bet your son's friends only don't talk to you at gigs because they're scared their freshly-brokem voices will go all wobbly on them ("HEllo MISsis monDo...she's EVer so NIIIIiiiice...") and alert the bouncers to the fact that they're not old enough to buy beer...

    ReplyDelete