Monday 29 October 2012

Sparking Off

I will return you to tales of 30-year old angst very shortly, but first a quick diversion into a different past/present interface. When I was nine years old and sitting wide-eyed in front of Top of the Pops one evening, being gently blown away by a weird man who sat behind a keyboard looking like Hitler while his pretty, falsetto-voiced younger brother strutted around him like a baby cockerel, I never had the presence of mind to think "I'll be going to see them live in forty years' time." How could I have ignored the signs?

There has never been anyone quite like Sparks, though their influences are legion (take a bow, Pet Shop Boys, Associates (R.I.P Billy) and others I'm too pushed for time to remember right now.). Why should they ever think of retirement when they still have Ron's weirdly arch lyrics and ever-evolving melodies, and Russell still has that amazing voice? There has been no significant loss of energy or curiosity in either brother, and while Ron's look is now more age-appropruiate and slightly 'Howard Hughes before the onset of psychosis' as opposed to 'early 20th Century Austrian fascist dictator with ennui', Russell still skips neatly round the stage like a bantamweight boxer, as light as air while never once straining over those amazing high notes.

Seeing them last week in  Brighton was an evening of pure joy, especially as a) I'd bought the tickets back in April so managed to get second row seats and b) it was just the two of them, the keyboard and the voice, taking an energetic, perfectly nuanced stroll through the rich pastures of their immense back-catalogue. For two individuals who don't engage hugely with their audience (they are incredibly private - you won't find out much about the personal life of either one, which takes some doing), they managed to be hugely engaging, and the audience was on its feet applauding wildly by the end - I've never felt more love in the slightly anonymous Brighton Dome, and what's  more it felt like something bigger and warmer than just nostalgia for when we were all nine years old. I honestly don't think we all expected them to be quite that good.

My favourite moment of the night was when they did 'Sherlock Holmes', my most-loved song from the Angst in my Pants album. The strangest, most affecting love song I've ever heard, delivered beautifully by a 63-year old man with bizarre hair and wearing what looked like one of Bryan Ferry's old hunting outfits that had shrunk in the wash. Unforgettable, beautiful, brilliant Sparks.

5 comments:

  1. When asked if they were gay: 'No, we're not gay. Well, not as far as we know.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank goodness. I thought for one second we were going to get angle number 9765 on the saga involving a TV music programme presenter.

    I also liked the strangely expressive nature of Sparks, who managed to communicate quite a lot with hardly any gestures.

    Will give Sherlock Holmes a whirl later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should get into the weird world of Sparks, where would you recommend getting onboard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do have a good rummage, Mondo. With 22 albums there's plenty of back-catalogue to choose from; however for my money it's h,ard to beat the early offerings of Propaganda, Kimono My House and A woofer in Tweeters Clothing for the sharpest lyrics and best tunes. The 80's Moroder period has its charms, but for me the songs soon began to flag and lose their acute archness under the weight of disco bombast. More recently there have been some great returns to form with Lil' Beethoven and Hello Young Lovers. You won't meet a smarter pair of cookies anywhere in the known universe than the Mael Brothers.

    And, gay? No. They're a pair of ladies' men if ever I saw 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I know is...Sparks is maybe the coolest name for a band ever...and other pertinent contributions to the conversation, etc.

    ReplyDelete