Tuesday 15 January 2013

A History of the Annual Family Row


I got my Annual Family Christmas Row out of the way the weekend before Christmas, which seemed stylish. I don't see an awful lot of my family - my parents are both long gone (both died around Christmas time, so it's hasn't been my favourite thing for a while), and there's always been a lot of space between me and my four (much) older sisters, partly just due to the expanse of years between us (eldest sister 23 years older than me, youngest sister a mere 13 - yes, I was an Irish Catholic Menopause Baby!), and partly because our upbringings were quite different, despite having parents, and genes, and stuff like that in common. 

My sisters were all  born in pre-trendy Ireland, where my Mum was marooned, living with her parents while my Dad was 'over' (slang of the time for being 'in England') working rather bitterly in a car factory.  He'd started life as a wealthy Irish American colonial brat, but the family fell on Hard Times and he was forced to reduce his station accordingly. Naturally, he never got over the loss of status. Every now and again, he'd head back over the St George's Channel on board the Innisfallen, to reward my Mum's forbearance with another pregnancy. Then it was back to Dagenham and the hated foundry, to earn his wages and drink most of them away in the pubs of Whitechapel and Stepney. My mother was largely reliant on her parents, and on the booty smuggled  home by her father, the gifted Head Gardner at an iconic Irish historical site, to feed her ever-growing brood of little Irish girls. Although my father's meagre contributions were supplemented with what Grandad could pilfer from the greenhouses of the Anglo Irish toffs who employed him, there often wasn't enough food to go round. My sisters grew up knowing genuine poverty and hunger. My grandfather would reputedly weep alone in the kitchen after they had all gone to bed, crushed by responsibility and hopelessness.

By the time I came along, things were a little different. My Mum had upped sticks and hauled her girls 'over', largely to stop my father running off with another women, and partly because if he ran, there was every chance he'd run back to the States, leaving her even more stuffed. He grudgingly offered her the chance to relocate the whole family to New York, so that if he had to suffer the indignity of being tied to a family, he could at least go out drinking and fighting with his brothers to ease the drudgery. She refused.They worked out some kind of uneasy truce, and I was born some years later, by which time he had got a slightly better job. I say only 'sightly' - we had our own house, to be sure, but things were still not easy (my own humiliating memories involve having to regularly drag two heavy bags of empty lemonade bottles back to the off-licence, so my Mum could buy potatoes with the 2d deposit the glowering English owner reluctantly handed over on each one. She would stand at the corner and wait for me, too ashamed to do  it herself. That generally happened on weeks when my Dad had had a bad run at "the bookies".). Let's say I wasn't one of the girls who started school in her wellies because her parents couldn't afford shoes, but we certainly weren't flush.

My sisters were all required to become economically productive as early as possible, and so all left school by 15 and got out to work. They were all left feeling that my Dad was largely indifferent to them, and with some justification. With me it proved to be a slightly different story, though - for once, forced proximity to a growing infant encouraged him to take an interest in the child, and my own limpet-like persistence in demanding his attention wore him down. My sisters stood by and watched astounded, as every Saturday morning he led me up to the Public Library and waited patiently while I picked the four new books that I would devour each week (he then went straight to the pub. You can't have everything.). My education was encouraged. Pains were taken that I went to the snotty local convent school, though I hated it and didn't flourish there. But by dint of will I pursued and passed my A levels at a local college, confounding the nuns, and I left for University nine months after my Dad finally succeeded in drinking himself to death. I got a very ordinary degree from a provincial University, but so far I'm still the only member of my family to have done so. Non-vocational higher education is mistrusted and derided, though (as with many immigrant families) money, and the display of money, are highly respected. But learning for its own sake? Baffling.

And herein lies the quintessence of the row my family and I repeat, again and again, whenever we're together for any length of time. It will find a different form of expression each time, a different peg to hang itself on, whether that be racism, sexism, homophobia, religion, or any of those other dangerous areas that get used for the passing of coded messages within families.

This year it was homophobia's turn. So easy, so very easy. A small grenade, lobbed in knowingly by my youngest sister's husband. "How's Brighton, then - still full of poofs?". He stands back and retires as the room ignites. "Oh for god's sake.." I begin. But another brother-in-law is there to accept the torch. "I tell you what sickens me. You turn on the telly and it's Graham Norton, going on and on and on about men and bums and cocks. So you turn over, and it's Alan Carr, doing the same. Men and bums and cocks. So you turn over again,   and it's that other queer on Strictly Come Dancing, and he's supposed to be judging the dancing but he's leering over the men and their bums..." My sister, his loyal wife, joins in. "The media is run by a Gay Mafia!" She's banging her fists on her knees, her husband is purple-faced and flecks of spit are collecting at the corner of his mouth. I look at the folded copy of the Daily Mail on the coffee table between us.

I can't stop myself from giving them what they want. I launch into my well-practiced liberal defence of sexual freedom, acknowledging that Alan Carr and Graham Norton's tired stereotypical portrayal of gay men is not actually doing anyone any favours these days but (why do I do it, why?) pointing out that they both seem somewhat obsessed with a very narrow and specific aspect of male-male relationships, ie, anal sex, and querying him on whether it's only wrong when gay male couples do it, or would he care to police the bedrooms of the nation and apply the same opprobrium to heterosexual couples who have a taste for it too? And given their all-round distaste for same-sex couplings, how might they react if any of their much-loved grandchildren turn out to be gay? This pushes the argument to its inevitable conclusion: "It would make NO difference at ALL to me if they were gay! I'm pretty sure my own BROTHER is gay, but I still see him, don't I!" (not that often. He emigrated to Germany in 1970 and has never come out. despite a long term 'house mate' called Gunther who obligingly visits his own family in Westphalia when there are fraternal calls.). And then the inevitable, unalterable punch line...

"It offends me! It just offends me! And you're sitting there, attacking me in my own home, and thinking that you're better than us because you've got a fucking degree!"

Maybe we'll get together at the end of this year and do it again, just for old time's sake. Or maybe thirty years is enough, and I'll decline the invitation, or just go along and keep my mouth shut. Though of course, inside I'll be glowing with barely-concealed smugness about my average intelligence, mediocre academic record, and very ordinary career. It's just a bloody good job I never became an over-achiever...





16 comments:

  1. Oh boy...

    Luckily we don't have a family like that - too small, too nice.

    Family history wise though similar, my Dad was a dockyard worker all his life, he was a shipwright, a well respected trade but all the same when I somehow managed to get to Grammar School to see most of the other boys picked up by Mum or Dad in a shiny new motor car I did feel a right urchin when the master asked where my Mum was... "Working sir, I have the bus fare home"... He looked over my cheap polyester Co-op blazer, obviously second hand jumper and tie and proudly polished buy old Clarks shoes and ushered my out the gates.

    Never got to uni - spent too much time playing the guitar, listening to lps, smoking and chasing the pretty 6th former in the girl school next door who is now my wife of 27+years.

    My son is close to a first in a masters in Physics... he says "But we are middle class Dad. You are a manager at an IT function in a large university, you were a director of a large international firm, look at your income, look at what you've saved up"... I now smile through gritted teeth and say "I'll only ever be working class my boy"... he doesn't get it. Maybe it is good he doesn't...

    Then my mother-in-law comes in and starts off with the Daily Mail type attacks on the latest minority and my wife sadly joins in some times... one good thing in both my daughter and son is they both argue back, not a fight but they have learnt to be open, engaging, non prejudiced... except against Tory policies... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a brilliant piece of writing ma'am.

    We never really had rows over cultural issues...we're all mostly cut from the same cloth in that regard. I have fond memories of my Daddy and the father of his second wife (my Mother) arguing about Reagan. Those were actual back and forth arguments that were fun to listen to.

    No...issues like budget cuts or single-payer health care become infinitesimally small in the wasteland of towering monuments to emotional defeat and rampant mental illness that is the space my maternal family occupies. In true Southern style, these bang-ups were Gothic and usually ended with somebody having to hide the keys to the gun cabinet...at the very least, dinner's main course would end up at the bottom of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was a thumping good read. I feel I've seen into your very soul.

    I tend to avoid anything contentious at my parents - which these can be anything at all, frankly - for that very reason. They don't want a reasoned debate. They just want to be right.

    It's too stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloody hell, that was good.

    My family are very 'live and let live', fortunately

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed - as said above - fantastic writing and a fascinating background to your life!
    As for the AFR - really there is only one answer to the "How's Brighton, then - still full of poofs?" question... which is... clears throat... "At least it ain't full of c*nts"
    ;-)

    I have some similar issues with my brother-in-law as it happens, who says things along the lines of, "well, the bloke was only bloody black, wasn't he? - but you know what, he was actually alright..." Any time I'm in his company I get a sore lip from permanently biting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stand this element of anti-intellectualism in working class culture. I still get it all the time, from people who think that the only reason I went to university was so that years down the line i could sneer at family and peers.

    Fortunately, in some ways, my family are so bland in conversation that we have never talked about politics in any meaningful way. My Dad imagines he's the thinker of the family by repeating bits of headline from the Daily Express.

    Well done you for trying to battle against their anal fixations, and fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see my family very much and its mild compared to yours, but I like to see these ocassions as a useful reality check. I spend most of my life living in a lovely liberal PC bubble and sometimes it's good to have it pricked. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway. Mind you, you probably don't need this with your job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers, all. I hadn't necessarily intended to be quite that revealing when I started writing the entry! I'm sure many people have a 'recurring family row' of one kind or another that rumbles on for decades, under slightly varying guises. It could be about who inherited Auntie Aggie's teapot, who got the ballet lessons, who only got a bag of nuts for her pony on her eleventh birthday (that last one is true! I know the poor waif in question.). I'd like to hear more about EF's Southern Gothic nightmare.

    My own just happens to be about who out of the five daughters got the least rough deal, and the greater share of Dad's attention (for what it was worth.). Nothing I ever do or say will ever compensate my sisters for what they feel they lost out on, and I accordingly received. But that doesn't stop them presenting me with the bill every so often.

    Any surprises that I became a therapist?

    Oh, and C - I'm going to have to pinch that response. How I wish I'd had it to hand at the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do and you don't want to hear those stories.

      Either way, because my name is all over it, I can't tell 'em on the blog. HA.

      Again...this was a great piece by you.

      Delete
    2. That's much appreciated, EF. As is your unfortunate but completely understandable need for discretion in your own family tales. I'll just have to imagine...

      Delete
    3. You may hear them yet...in one form or another.

      Delete
  9. Until very recently all my parent issues were brought out of the freezer, defrosted, given a good kick around, and then put back in again for another year. Or less. Then something happened and I realised how silly it had all been. That and the fact that I know that they won't always be around. Mind you, I still know that I was right and they were wrong. I just don't tell them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Just wow.... I think I'd skip next year's celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. By fortunate coincidence, I should be thousands of miles from home next December, so it can all take place without me! Wonder if it will....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being trying to think of a suitable response to this for days, and all I can come up with is sympathy.

    There are some ongoing arguments in my wife's family (all over inheritances and nobody visiting when they were sick, but willing to take the money after the poor dear in question had shuffled off) but I try to stay clear of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, thanks Simon. I'm so used to it all now that it doesn't really affect me that much - like you, I tend to adopt the 'steer clear' approach. I've built my own family of people I'm not actually related to instead. It seems to work much better (and it's still under construction)!

    ReplyDelete